Thursday, July 22, 2010

Big Burger

I'm super stoked to be back in Florida and back on the burger tour!  And as our first stop upon my return, Big Burger was a solid choice.

The Place
I've driven past Big Burger dozens of times and it has always intrigued me.  It's on a busy stretch of University Ave in downtown Gainesville.  A prime location for serving up burgers.  I liked the inside of the place, mostly because I'm an incurable Elvis fan and couldn't get over the collage of Elvis albums plastered on the walls.  I thought it was great!

The Burger
While Tom tackled the "Big Burger" itself (a one-pound hunk of meat on a bun), I went for the "Baby Burger", which was a more manageable 1/4 lb patty, and topped it with American cheese and bacon. 

Let me just say this, I have eaten a lot of burgers and I think I have found my niche in the burger world-- I'm a 1/3 lb kind of girl. 

My options at Big Burger were 1/4 lb, 2/3 lb, or 1 lb.  I was a little stumped by this at the counter and had to ask my burger partner, "How much is 2/3 of a pound?  Can I eat that?"  He looked at me and said, "Not all at once..."  So I decided to play it safe with the 1/4 lb.

The flavor in my "Baby Burger" was good.  The meat was juicy and not over-cooked, so that was a good start.  However, I am suspicious that most of the flavor came from the added bacon. 

This makes me want to give Big Burger another try, wherein I will order the same burger sans bacon.  Also, neither of us ordered fries or any other sides with our burgers, so I would like to go back and give their fries a chance.

Pros
It's at a good location, though a little ways from my apartment, if I were out and about downtown, I could definitely see myself stopping by for a burger.  Also, we can't overlook the great King-themed atmosphere and the overall quality of the burger.

Cons
Big Burger keeps really weird hours.  Something like 11am to 4pm Mon, Tues, Weds, and then 11am - 4pm, reopening at 11pm - 3 am Fri, Sat, Sun.  Definitely catering to the bar crowds downtown.  However, it doesn't really leave itself open to much dinner business, which is a bummer because that's usually our time for burger touring.

Also, what's the deal with those weird sizes?  Can I just have a 1/3 lb burger please?

Score
As I said, I would like to try Big Burger again, but overall, I was satisfied with my burger experience.  All things considered, I give my Baby Burger at Big Burger...

3 out of 5

Also...
Tom's blog talks about our original search for "Face Burger".  I later found out that it's actually called Big Uly's Burgers, which I still want to add to the burger tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment